Best Colleges in South Dakota
South Dakota is the 17th-largest state in the U.S. by area but houses the nation's fifth-smallest state population. Its economy is driven by three major industries: service, agriculture, and tourism. People travel great distances to take in state and national parks, such as the iconic Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park, as well as other attractions in the Black HIlls region.
Compared to national averages, South Dakota boasts a relatively low cost of living and a low unemployment rate. According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some of South Dakota's most popular occupations -- by number of employees -- include registered nurses, bookkeepers and accounting clerks, and customer service representatives.
Top 10 Colleges in South Dakota
- Augustana University - Sioux Falls, SD
- University of South Dakota - Vermillion, SD
- South Dakota State University - Brookings, SD
- Mount Marty College - Yankton, SD
- Sinte Gleska University - Mission, SD
- Dakota State University - Madison, SD
- Oglala Lakota College - Kyle, SD
- Northern State University - Aberdeen, SD
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish, SD
- University of Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls, SD
Pursuing a college degree is a great way for individuals of all ages to increase their skills and overall employability, but choosing which school to attend can feel like an overwhelming task. South Dakota offers a diverse system of public, private, religious, and nonsectarian institutions of higher education, and each school features its own notable strengths and characteristics.
To help simplify your decision-making process, we've compiled the top 10 accredited colleges in South Dakota. Read on to learn more about campus culture, admission requirements, and program offerings at each school to determine which best suits your needs.